Sunday, February 15, 2009

Actors Journal #14 - Costumes designers

130209

Today was abit of a RUSH OF EMOTIONS day for me. I, yes, I can say that I wasn't at all prepared for the discussion today, and that I was just blaberring all that nonsense over the top of my head.

Let me start from the beginning. Today the IB drama class was supposed to go to lunch to discuss costumes for our characters in the play. I thought it was a discussion! that no outfit would have been fully thought through. Something like "oh, what about this?" or "A skirt would be nice" or "a dress is DEFINITELY the way to go" But no, i started first and I was really supposed to know what to wear. Sorry Mr.Moss, I feel like i let you down. Em, one thing that I feel wasn't right, was, when Mr.Moss questioned me about my costume, it was just me talking. Futher along lunch, when people were explaining their costumes, ideas were just FLYING around the table. thats not fair! they were suggesting SANITARY SPRAY for Tilly's phobia guy, V-neck sweater for Phumi's gay/straight guy, and colours for everyone else. How come I didn't get that? but oh well, Mark didn't either, so, yea, maybe its fair, I'm just abit unsure of what to do with the outfit, seeing that my character really doesn't have any distinct characteristics, I just don't know how to narrow down that BIG choice of possibilities into 1 outfit. ARGH. But still, here's my little something after I started to actually think thoroughly about it. hehe

Costume Deisgn - GIRL
Type - Knee-length dress. Preferrably something silky and flowy.
Colour - RED. (may change though)
Design - Something exotic and eye catching. Not too striking, but attrative. Nothing too provocative. Formal. NEW YORK-ish.
Bag - A black little bag.
Shoes - Black wedges.
Accesories - Simple necklace that changes every scene.
Hair - Many different types. Pulled back, tied in half, hairband, clip by the side, clipped and twisted down the middle, nothing.

I chose a dress because this is NEW YORK people! Have to be chic. Something silky, flowly with exotic design to show her sensuality and girly side. The colour of her dress, be it Red or any other has to draw attention. This is because she is desperate! She wants to fill that void deep down in her with a compatible male partner, and so she dresses to impress and to make that first impression a deep and memorable one. However, she does not dress provocatively, partly because she is already a mature working-class woman, partly because she doesn't want the secret of her desperation to let leak. She wants to come off as mature, loving and a woman who is ready for a steady relationship. The dainty black bag reflects her delicate personality. The black shoes shows off her legs and manicured toes, indicating her care in detailed appearance and possibly care in cleanliness as a housewife too? Her accessories differ each scene. Each item of jewellery reflects her feeling at the very moment. Big chunky necklaces to show her bold mood and delicate ones to show herself as timid and shy. The way her hair is done also portrays her current emotions. Firstly, she goes that extra mile to style her hair, putting it up in a cute bun or something. Slowly, she gets discouraged because by the quality of dates she's had and cares less about her hair. However, she may remain optimistic and attempt to style it by adding a clip or two here and there. At the last scene though, she is frustrated to her limit and doesn't even care about her hair anymore. She arrives for dinner letting her hair down with only the slightest evidence of it being brushed.

I think I do better after a days of thinking. Now to head off to Love Perhaps set. :)

EDITED :
change in plans. no changes of jewellery and hair in every scene. Too complicated and I can still be seen during Marks's scenes. Best to keep still. There are pics though :)


No comments:

Post a Comment