Sunday, February 1, 2009

Actor's Journal #10 - grinding metal into a needle

300109

No we didn't do MANNY's scene today. Instead we split up (guys scenes & girls scene) into 2 rooms. Mr. Moss and Ms. Marshall. Everyone involved in the scene with the Guy went with Mr. Moss and all the rest in Ms. Marshall's room. Splitting up and working like this gets alot done I think, and me, I get to absorb more knowledge from two very experienced, creative and informative teachers. However, the contrast between Mr. Moss and Ms. Marshall is HUMONGOUS.....AND both of them know it. haha. that's why I like them, they know they're weaknesses and manage to work around it. So when we all gathered in Ms. marshall's room, she came right out and told us that she was not at all like Mr. Moss, she did not like exaggeration, outward movements and BODY LANGUAGE. I think she really goes by her motto "Less is More". Its kind of hard to juggle both styles together, especially if I feel more comfortable with one in particular, but I learned ASSIMILATION. Explanations for physical movements and internalizing thoughts.

Ms. Marshall I noticed likes us to act on what we think, which makes great progress as we act. Thinking and feeling whatever we feel, our reactions seem so much more natural, and lines are SO much easier to learn, they just come naturally if we think like how our character thinks. Ms. Marshall actually made Phuminat do this OUT LOUD. haha. because I think he isn't quite comfortable with his part yet (the super romantic, suave Ken) so he doesn't know how to feel and respond to being on a date. One thing puzzled me though, Ms. Marshall says she doesn't like physical activity much, but she was actually encouraging Phuminat to pick me up, twirl me around and do tons and tons of MOVEMENT. I guess when she realises the need for movement, she does add it here and there. She's flexible and open to discussion about acting. I like that alot.

About mine and Michelle's scene, I admit that I wasn't focusing at all. The feeling really wasn't there, not until Ms. Marshall asked me to LISTEN to Michelle and respond as a person to her conversation. I have to be attentive, want to listen and somehow be annoyed. I'm abit confused about this part because after I realise that Louis is ignoring me and blabbing non-stop about him and him alone, I have to cut in constantly as if I am interested in striking conversation with him. Am I really that desperate or so kind as to attempt conversation with this stranger that obviously doesn't want to talk WITH me? An issue to be cleared with the teachers.

Next was the baby guy, Trym. Oh. we had a little bump in the process on that one debating Trym's initial position, how he was going supposed to think, then act on that thought and tons more. I agree though,his beginning is very awkward for me. Initially I couldn't see how him sitting like a frog on the chair could make me believe he was as childish as he was. But we're on the way to working it out, I can feel it :) AND. one more thing. Trym doesn't stick to the script. I mean he makes me totally miss out on like lines that are important that is something that MAKES his scene....but he doesn't help me lead to it. =_=. I know i shouldn't be angry, I know I shouldn't care because impromptu only makes the acting more realistic....but READ THE SCRIPT WHITE BOY! Phew, ok I got that out, but somehow, even though all that frustration, we get through the scene.......NEXT!

Oh, a little something we confirmed in my role as the Girl is, every time before a date, I have to identify a particular "waiting position" that signifies my preparation for a date. Eg. Knees together, on tip toes maybe, hands entwined together and constantly checking watch. Stuff like that, but as I go through each date I get more and more discouraged, and that must show in my facial expression, posture, energy level etc. WOW. GOOD INPUT. My brain is going to burst with all this information!

While we are halfway through my next scene with Phuminat, the gay/straight guy, I think time is almost up and Mr. Moss calls us back in. DAMN. he has so many good ideas. He asks us to all line up at the back of the room, and walk up to him, say hi IN CHARACTER. OH NO..... toughie for me who isn't sure how normal girls act. Mark goes first and seems like he aces it. I go next >_< but he makes me say HI again. lifting up his shit infested slipper. OK. I GET IT. I HAVE TO BE LOUD. So i go do it again....but I walk before I say it, can't i say it to his face?! And oh nO! he throws his slipper at me.....T_T and it hits me in parts you don't wanna know or guess. >_< sighs. how brutal. But this is a strengthening exercise for me! making me more thick skinned! YES! I finally do it with the help of Michelle. Thank yo Michelle, you're the best! and yes, about 5/6 times later, he asks me to pull up a seat. *breath of relief*

So that ends the day, and a satisfying day it is. I love drama now because it feels good to get out of my skin and get myself into the arts. Oh. not that i didn't love drama in the beginning yes? :P

NEXT LESSON GOALS : MAINTAIN volume. Respond to Michelle's conversation. work out confusion with reaction of Girl. Get comfortable being Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment