Sunday, February 15, 2009

Love Perhaps - Day 3

140209

VALENTINE'S DAY! Another day to watch Love Perhaps, just in the shoes of a director.
I think I was pretty lucky to choose this day as the role of a director, because today, the sound system got messed up.

Blind Date
I realise that even during performances, directors don't get to relax. I saw Ms. Joelle standing backstage, script in hand, ready to give cues to the actors incase they forgot their lines. Directors have to be on their toes at all times, so maybe being a perfectionist is not such a bad thing for a director. At the start of the show, the sound system went bad. The voices of the actors couldn't be picked up and it was just hard to get sound across the stage, let alone the whole ballroom. Lucky Ms.Joelle was innovative. She wrote on pieces of paper "Mikes not working, speak louder" and delivered it through the actor who went on and off stage. Even directors have to be quick-thinking. But, I might have directed the actors in "blind date" different. The guy needed abit of work on his expression and character internalizing. He was just stiff and chinese-like. Not much difference in tones and body language, but maybe that was just how the character was supposed to be portrayed. I'm not sure. I would have liked to see more reaction to the sound effects of the waitress in the kitchen and the surrounding sounds, or maybe, a more exaggerated respond. But for the waitress, there was nothing I would have changed. :)

Calling It Quits
Brilliant. Nothing much I could to change this play. Although the waitress in this play could have been more natural. The use of space around the cafeteria by the waitress could also have been played with abit more and the gradual build up of the conversation between the waitress and Matt could have done with a lot more of a variety of movement. Maybe he could have squirmed more, shifted weight more and she could have walked around the place more, since it is, after all, her territory and a place of familiarity. Other than that, Mary standing while showing her numbness after handing Matt the divorce papers. WOW. very nice. could feel the intensity in that.

Inconvenient People
VERY good use of postition on the stage, the way the props were placed and the movement of the maid, the lawyer and the murderer. I have nothing much to say about this play just that the actors really need to clearly pronounce their words. Ms. Lucille did that but Mr.Kerr didn't. Westerners always mumble abit, and I still don't get why. I really liked the way the actors related to the background music abit, or so it seemed. That last image of Ms.Lucille looking back and cackling is just engraved in my mind! Its as if the music was made for her postition not the other way round. Bravo!

they did a great job and I'm so happy I had the oppurtunity to work as a backstage crew :)




No comments:

Post a Comment