Thursday, January 29, 2009

Actor's Journal #9 - actions speak louder than words

290109

The preparation for the upcoming TAPS program took up most of our time. Mr.Moss filled us in on details of responsibility and worse-case scenarios, all part and parcel of our roles as the host of this ISTA program. I guess from this I didn't learn much as an actor, but from another point of view, you learn alot about responsibility and the hardwork it takes to host a program. OO.

So anyway, after all the briefing, we work on Check, Please. I was hoping to do the scene with the phobic guy and the overly romantic guy and thats what we did today! AWESOME. So while the others were working with Mr. Moss in the drama studio, me and Tilly ran through our parts outside, getting familiar with it, knowing it and learning to be comfortable saying it. I admit, during the weekend, I read thru it tons of times, and this time, I was actually listening to what Tilly was saying and it made things alot easier. FAMILIARITY. Thats a good thing.

Now after that, we got called in to do the part of Ken (phuminat) and Girl (me). OOOO. now this was exciting. Mr.Moss isn't like your everyday teacher, he is TOTALLY and THOROUGHLY into acting. he is good and he does what he does well. One thing I admire about him is the way he does things to make the scene more something that people would want to see. Its the way he overdoes things that catch my attention. Thats exactly what I want to do! But as the "girl" I don't get much exaggerating done. *sighs* But I'm working hard on this, trying my best to be comfortable with the part opposite mine, listening, hearing, and reacting naturally. I just love this scene! It is so natural yet exaggerated at the same time. I admit, its the first time I actually felt really comfortable in my part, doing stuff with my hands and body that felt right, and all that. BUT. one thing Mr.Moss said that made an impact, Asians find it hard to act using FACIAL EXPRESSION. yes. very true, I am SURE my face looked rigid and the same throughout the whole time. I used to do TONS with my facial expression, just cause I loved to feel the muscles in my face working, but today? Well, maybe I was just lazy. But now I know, FACIAL EXPRESSION. I must be aware of that. Ooops, and volume again >_< Mr. Moss said he'll make me lick his shit-stepped-in slipper if he couldn't hear me again. YA. gotta practice that.

Mr. Moss did change a line in my part though, making it funnier! *last line - Does this crap ever work?!* I think I learned about body movement through actual thoughts in my head. At the end part, I have to feel RAGE, and my body has to react to that to make it natural. And the positioning on stage is critical. I have to stop poking my ass in everyone's face and use upstage positions. Another good point for me to learn. But overall, I WISH I COULD DO PHUMI'S PART! its so fun. so much exaggeration, so much movement and FAKENESS. I AM SO ENVIOUS. I would be able to do that well. But since the aim of me going into drama is to learn things of the unfamiliar, I will do my part and I will do it well. The learning process is hard but one that is well worth its effort.

GOAL FOR TOMORROW : Volume. Stage position. Facial expression. comfortable-ness. Probable scene rehearsal - MANNY.

No comments:

Post a Comment