Saturday, January 10, 2009

Actor's Journal #1 - FINDING OUT

080109

2nd day of school and I was honestly feeling very discouraged. The workload. The RANDOM arrangement of classes. The workload again *sighs*. The catching up. THE UNSTOPPABLE RUSH OF COLORADO-RIVER-LIKE INFORMATION SQUEEZING AND HURDLING ITS WAY DOWN THE NARROW AND ONLY PATHWAY INTO MY BRAIN OF LIMITED SIZE AND CAPACITY.

yes school. the wonderful glories of school. Refreshing for those who have been sloppy during the holidays, but still, for me it was like a cold bucket of water straight to the face on a day that should be full of relaxation. Then SOMETHING happened. I stepped into Theatre Arts.

It was refreshing. VERY. And this time I mean it in a LITERAL sense. As I gingerly placed each foot infront of each other, a little intimidated by the number of students in the class (6), OOO I felt weird. Lucky Michelle was there! She's always there for me, explaining CAS to me, rushing off to guide me to class, eating lunch. I LOVE HER. SHE IS A PERSON WITH THE BIGGEST HEART AND THE MOST GORGEOUS SMILE AND PERSONALITY IN THE WORLD. But still, I'm there, new again, teaching people how to pronounce my name and feeling awkward.

Somehow, THIS teacher doesn't make me feel awkward. Mr.Moss if not wrong. I love Americans for this, they make you feel at EASE. dammit I wish I could have that kind of talent. But I don't. acceptance *pause* peace of mind *pause + deep breaths* DONE. i'm over it. Over that jealousy....... or admiration if jealousy is a too harsh word :P. Anyway, first thing we do, we jump right too it! No dilly dally. Straight to work. I likey~

Task #1:
What are the first things that you (should) do when a script arives in the post, and it is right there in your hands.

whoa. is this something I should have studied for?
Hui Ern : Are we actually supposed to know the answers??
Mr. Moss : Yes.
Hui Ern's mind : SHIIIIIIT. should not have let wei yun convince me to join!! $@%$#%$!!!!
Mark : Are they like....real REAL answers.
Mr.Moss : No.
Hui Ern's mind : phew

Hui Ern's hand staats to write though.
1. Read thru the script. (like duuuhhhh......haha. but I got it right! yesssss! *fists pumping in air*
2. Imagine story - or basically know the plot.
3. Find out rest of the cast. I obviously DO NOT KNOW A THING ABOUT DRAMA
4. Memorize part. (ahhh.....apprently this is wrong. Lesson learnt and noted.)
5. Act out part with someone.
6. Research story. I'm obviously desperate
7. Call director/producer for pointers. And here I am being insane.

So we discuss about it. Lucky I didn't read anything out! cause well you know.....my thoughts SUCK. yuck. I always knew....but like...THIS MUCH?! haha. anyway....moving on.

Interpretation of what I think are the answers
1. Read thru script.
2. Know story plot.
3. Know your ROLE. oh yaaaa.....your ROLE
4. Internalize and analyse CHARACTER. why didn't I think of this?
5. LEARN part. Do you see the difference? LEARN not memorize.

ONE. Character Analysis. Physical & emotional.
Factors affecting physical character
: history & choice
This is actually quite complex. I never really thought being an actor required such hard thought, research and dedication. I thought it was talent! haha. silly me.

History
Why are people the way they are? Why do they act the way they act? Why do they feel the way they do? Why do they avoid certain people/places/things?
WHY. history. what happened in the past. Things that made behavioural actions HABITS. constant repetition since young. This explains why babies who were dangled from the toe at level 88 of their apartment are afraid of heights. Why victims of abuse are tend to be more loving, understanding yet introverts. and basically, why people are the way they are. Hmmm....logical.

Choice
This was a good one. Mr Moss says, "I lost 30 pounds in one day" or so he claims :P But he actually didn't, he just sat up straighter, sucked that tummy in and walked with poise. So he changed the way he carried himself. He changed HIMSELF. So this makes a person, or in this case, a character.

Next we learnt about the acting bit. What is essential between actors? Or do you just do YOUR thing. Act YOUR part. Finish YOUR scene. End YOUR day. And come back to do YOUR acting again together. Sounds selfish and it is. Acting isn't about acting. Its about trust between two actors of the same scene. That bond that makes acting natural, that faith in each other that the words just leave our mouth naturally. TRUST=essential. The comfortable-ness that makes it all real. We were also taught that before walking into rehearsals, you have to have a goal. Its like life, you don't just wander around aimlessly. You make a path for yourself. A path with direction and purpose. It applies everywhere, anytime, any place. And this place is drama rehearsals. LESSON #INFINTY - walk into rehearsals knowing what you should work on. what needs help to be corrected. do it. finish it. find more to work on.

I have learnt alot.

Next assignment was pretty simple. RESEARCH. The origins of threatre.
My mind seems to have expected this and I don't know why. We're researching on South East Asian culture! So for me a Malaysian, its more of a familiar territory. *hmmmmMMMMMmmm* I feel all warm inside. haha. here it is.

Assignment
Research traditional threatre in the Southeast Asian region.
Select one dance form and one mask or puppet tradition.
  • Story source and (if possible) an example of a story
  • Objective of performance and audience
  • Staging venues
  • Stock characters (good/evil) and how they are represented.
  • Performance elements (Costume, backdrop, music, dialogue)
Laos
Cambodia (Khmer)
Indonesia
Phillipines
Veitnam
Thailand
Myanmar (Burma)

I got Vietnam. :D

This is actually a homework assignment itself. Say hello to my Actor's Journal which will be graded on. You are reading HOMEWORK. which is personal and means alot. Thanks for eyeballing it.

Till I do my homework again
Ernie


1 comment:

  1. haha..i didn't know u had a blog! well, this is the life of an international sch student. less students, seemingly random arrangement of classes, ang-moh teachers..and LOTS of homework (usually)

    ReplyDelete